Messages: Please use the inbrite.com forum for our discussions & Q&A.

News: It is reported that iTunes 9 is compatible with jailbroked iPhones... Now I got an iPhone 3GS. I will be posting something about it...

Sponsors links:

Sunday, August 20, 2006

P2K File System

Understanding P2K file system
This post is for newbie. It will help you get started with moto modding. After you understand the file system, you will be able to do some simple mods, such as how to put skins into your phone, and how to put pictures/music/video into your phone.

After you have installed the necessary P2K drivers and P2K Tools, you are ready to examine the files inside your phone.

The tools I used to access the files in my phone are moto4lin for Mac and P2KTools for PC. You can download them at the bottom of this post. In this post, I call them "P2K tools" in general.

Before you connect your phone to your computer, you should set "Data/Fax connection" under "Connection->USB setting->Default Connection" in the menu of your phone.

Now connect your phone to your computer via USB and start the P2K tools. You click on "Refresh" or "Update list" button, then the software will read the file system in your phone. (For moto4lin, you need to click on "connect/disconnect" button first.)

This is a screenshot from moto4lin:


Typically a motorola P2K phone has 3 drives. /a drive is for system files, /c is for user files and /b is the TF card.

Let's look at some interesting folders and files, and some simple mods by just replacing files.

/a/WebSession : stores your GPRS setting. You can backup/restore it directly and you can Hex edit the file to unlock it if it is non-editable.

/a/gain_table.bin : stores audio gain level setting. You can Hex edit it to change the gain level. Most P2K Tools can update this file directly.

/a/plmn_text_table.bin : stores carriers' ID & Name. You can Hex edit it to change the displayed carrier name.

/a/custgoodbye.gif & /a/custwakeup.gif : custom startup/shutdown animations. They can be replaced.

/a/mobile/system/*.amr : These are camera sounds & timer count down sounds. You can change the sounds by replacing these files.

/a/mobile/system/mma_dcp & mma_ucp : These files define the menu structure of the phone's navigation menu. You can Hex edit it or use P2KMenuEditor to update the files, so as to change the menu structure. mma_ucp is the live copy, while mma_dcp is the copy that will be used when master reset.

/c/j2me15x15icon_VSCL.png & j2me15x15icon.png : The default icon for java midlet when no icon is provided by the midlet. You can change the icon by replacing these files.

/c/phonebook_*.gif : Icons for "new phone entry", "mailing list", "default icon when photo is not available for the phonebook entry stored in phone memory", "icon for PTT entry" and "icon for entry stored in SIM card." The file names are self-explanatory. You can change these icons by replacing these files.

/c/mobile/audio : This folder stores all the ringtone files. Basically all can be deleted to save space. However, before you delete the audio files, make sure all ringtones are set to silent in all ringstyles. You can put your own ringtones in this folder.

/c/mobile/audio/Cust_Start~up.mp3 & Start~up.mp3 : custom startup/shutdown sounds. They can be replaced.

/c/mobile/kjava : This folder stores all the java games & apps in phone memory. You can backup all your games/apps by backing up this folder. jad is jar descrription file, jar is the java class file, png is the icon file, rms is the record storage, and pat is the permission setting file. You can Hex edit the pat file to change the permission for the midlet.

/c/mobile/picture : This folder stores all the pictures in phone memory. They can be safely deleted to save space.

/c/mobile/skins : This folder stores all the skin files. Each skin has its own subfolder. To install new skins, create the skin subfolder in this folder, then upload all skin files into the subfolder. For example, you want to upload a skin called "YuetMod" and you have the files YuetMod.ski, YuetMod.dat and YuetMod1.dat. To install it, use P2KTools create the subfolder "YuetMod" inside "/c/mobile/skins", then upload all the files into /c/mobile/skins/YuetMod. Restart your phone, then you will see the new skin listed in skin menu.

/c/mobile/video : stores video in phone memory. They can be safely deleted to save space.

File Attribute
0 : no attribute, can be modified by java apps, like phone manager.
1 : read-only. cannot be modified by phone manager.
2 : hidden. hidden from some P2KTools, but moto4lin can still show these files. cannot be modified by phone manager.
4 : system file. will not be deleted when master clear. cannot be modified by phone manager.

Download:
P2KTools: [inbrite.com] [filecloud]
moto4lin: [moto4lin]

Sponsors links:

29 comments:

12:13 AM, September 13, 2006 Anonymous said...

hi yuet, I just had a quick question -- I've noticed that when I'm attempting to play music through iTunes or (in the original firmware) the DAP, the sound does not play out of the speakers until I plug in the mono headphones and then remove them again. It then plays out of the speakers for about 30 seconds before again playing out only through the headphones.

Is this normal? Is there a way to fix it? I plan to get a stereo headphone adapter for it at some point, but in the meantime, I'd like to be able to use it as a jambox. Thanks for your help!

9:43 AM, September 13, 2006 Yuet said...

seems to me a hardware problem. send it back to motolora please.

1:18 AM, October 06, 2006 Anonymous said...

hey....sup.....for some reason the program won't connect to my phone.. i'm usin moto4lin on Mac and i hav ROKR E1

9:35 PM, October 06, 2006 Yuet said...

did you install the libusb?

11:42 AM, November 16, 2006 Anonymous said...

Hi Yuet, I replaced the animated gifs that play during power cycling, but before the custwakeup plays it still shows the HelloMoto splash. Have you found a way around this? I can't find the image as a file to delete....

10:32 PM, November 16, 2006 Anonymous said...

I downloaded your AER flash file for the V360. Now I'm stuck with it because I can't install any other flashes (a great big flashing warning with the link would have been appreciated) until I get the torx screwdrivers to take the phone apart.

After flashing the phone with your file, there IS no "skins" folder on the phone, but plenty of skins on the phone. How do I instal additional skins?

12:43 AM, November 18, 2006 Yuet said...

ryan, so far no way to change the HelloMoto picture yet.

anonymous, I think I have emphasized in the post that ONLY flash to it when you already have AER firmware. Skins are in /c/mobile/skins.

7:49 PM, February 14, 2007 Anonymous said...

i have moto v360 and i'm thinkin i have great problem whith p2k.i was uploading skins but something changed in multimedia disappear the icon to see video and in personalize>main menu>view the option have icon and list but both show me list icon seems disappear WTH??i dun touch anything of seem and other stuff pls help

1:50 PM, February 15, 2007 Yuet said...

how did you upload skins? can u remove the skins to see if the problem can be resolved?

10:05 PM, February 24, 2007 Anonymous said...

Hi Yuet, my name's Danny from Indonesia. I'm using P2KTools to add skins into my V3i. I accidentally deleted one folder but I don't remember which one. Do you know file/folder tree list of V3i?

Mine has a/, a/mobile, a/mobile, a/mobile/vavr, a/mobile/system, a/mobile/mms, a/mobile/settings, a/mobile/email, a/mobile/kjava, a/mobile/wvim, a/mobile/mib (no files), a/mobile/mib/pcf, a/mobile/certs (no files), a/mobile/certs/root (no files), a/mobile/certs/root/x509 (no files), a/mobile/certs/root/x509/ssl, a/mobile/certs/root/x509/kjava, c/, c/mobile (no files), c/mobile/audio, c/mobile/video, c/mobile/picture, c/mobile/kjava, c/mobile/btprint, c/mobile/vst, c/mobile/mib (no files), c/mobile/mib/cache, c/mobile/mib/cookies, c/mobile/mib/gen, c/mobile/mms (no files), c/mobile/mms/mmstemplate (no files), c/mobile/skins (my skin folders' inside), and b/ (my TF card).

Sorry for the long list. But I'm freaking out. I think I deleted something but everything seems normal.

Thanks in advance.

10:25 PM, February 24, 2007 Yuet said...

Danny, maybe you haven't deleted any folder, as p2ktool won't delete the folder unless it is empty.

9:24 PM, April 13, 2007 Anonymous said...

hey yuet. I need some help, but i was using p2ktools, and i don't really know what happened, but it;s like this: after editing some SEEM, my menu navigation transformed from animated icons to a list, my themes got deleted, the games can;t play anymore. What happened and how can i fix it?

11:54 PM, April 13, 2007 Yuet said...

restore to original seem if you have backup. If not, try master reset. If still no success, you need to flash to a MP of your choice.

7:02 PM, April 15, 2007 Anonymous said...

hello again yuet. this is the guy from April 13. My name's miguel. Okay i tried master reset. But still my menu and games don;t work like normal again. Okay, uhm could you explain what "flash MP of your choice" means? Thanks man. I'll come back for the answer

8:30 PM, April 15, 2007 Anonymous said...

I think what Yuet means is that you can choose the mp which you like. Of course it must be compatible with your firmware and there is introduction in this blog.

BTW i can access your blog on my computer , that's great, Yuet! Haha~~~
- raki

1:58 PM, April 16, 2007 Yuet said...

miguel, download a MP which is compatible with your phone, then follow "how to flash" guide to flash the MP.

8:53 AM, April 18, 2007 Anonymous said...

miguel here again. last question, but what is that monster pack that you are talking about? The MP? That's all. I'll find that "MP" for my phone.

6:05 PM, April 18, 2007 Yuet said...

miguel, have u told me what's your phone?

10:11 AM, April 19, 2007 Anonymous said...

hello again. My bad. My phone is E398, and i got the MP for my phone. Now i just need to know how to flash it without the RSDlite. I'll go for the PST... so how do i flash it using the Motorola PST? Thank you.

4:26 PM, April 19, 2007 Yuet said...

for E398, I suggest using flash&backup, either version 2 or 3. Offhand I don't remember what are the options in PST.

4:18 AM, October 08, 2007 Anonymous said...

Hi Yuet, my name's Shawn, thanks for the blog, I've been using alot of what you've said. I have a problem that i think you can help with, i was using P2KTools to change the custwakeup.gif and custgoodbye.gif and i think i changed the attribues of the c and b folder to hidden by accident, is there a way to chage that back so that i can change the tones for when you turn on the phone and shut down the phone? also, for going into AT mode on p2k tools, what settings should you have, i can't connect to the phone in AT mode. thanks

12:32 PM, November 01, 2007 Anonymous said...

hi!!!!! i have a problem.. after i have installed p2k tools mh l7 phone doesnt connect at all... which driver am i supposed to install for my l7?

10:30 AM, November 28, 2007 sophia said...

Hi

I am using Motorola w375. I want to upload Java programs to my phone and I know that I need to enable the Java uploader.

I try your steps to install p2k file system and p2k driver.

However, I wonder if the p2k system is designed for my model as the option you mentioned does not exist in my phone.

"Data/Fax connection" under "Connection->USB setting->Default Connection" in the menu of the phone

Therefore no p2k driver can be installed in my winxp professional and hence p2k system is not functional.

Could you please suggest me the method to upload Java programs?

I can be reached at law16032004@yahoo.com.hk

Thank you very much for your help.

8:25 PM, June 17, 2008 kevSSSSsss said...

hi yuet.. i have downloaded your p2ktools i unpack it successfully but when i tried to run the program it says that windows need to close the program.. please help.. =( kevin from philippines.. newbie here.. i have a motorola l7 and i want to have new skins..

8:27 PM, June 17, 2008 kevSSSSsss said...

hi yuet.. i have downloaded the p2ktools for motorola i unpack it succesfully but when i tried to run the program itself it says that the windows need to close.. please help me... im a newbie here i have a L7 phone..

8:55 PM, July 07, 2008 Anonymous said...

Hi...

I m very new to J2ME. I have a idea about basic of J2ME like MIDP, CLDC.

I wants to develop one application which can access the phonebook entries, and should display in one listbox.

Plz guide me for this.

Thnx in advance.

1:29 AM, January 04, 2009 Unknown said...

Hi there. I wanted to know if this will work phones running linux os like the motorola A780 ??

1:52 PM, April 14, 2009 Anonymous said...

Hi Yuet... (1)(2)flash questions V360. SW version R4513_G_08.B7.86R please index what files are available... do not understand how to interpolate revision codes after G_08. (2)Do not understand how to apply font size and style.. including font scrolling if possible? Thank you

6:20 AM, December 02, 2017 Anonymous said...

I am genuinely pleased to read this weblog posts which includes tons of valuable
information, thanks for providing these kinds of data.


yuetblog.blogspot.com Web